Thursday, September 3, 2026

The U.S. Supreme Court


    Before watching this documentary, I thought of the Supreme Court as simply the highest court in the United States. After learning more about its history and how it operates, I realized it plays a much larger role in shaping the country.

The documentary described the Supreme Court as the most powerful judicial body on Earth. Its job is to interpret the Constitution, protect individual freedoms, and decide major legal questions that can affect millions of people.

One of the biggest things I learned is that the Court's power depends on trust.

The Constitution gives the Court its authority, but the public has to believe that the justices are independent and fair. Without that trust, the Court's decisions would not have the same influence.

I was surprised to learn that the Supreme Court was not always as powerful as it is today. Chief Justice John Marshall helped strengthen the Court and establish its place as an equal branch of government. His connection to Marbury v. Madison was especially important because that case gave the Court the power to strike down laws that violate the Constitution.

The documentary also examined some of the Court's mistakes. The Dred Scott decision was one of the most significant examples. The Court ruled that Black people could not be citizens and that Congress could not ban slavery. The video described this ruling as a major self-inflicted wound that damaged the Court's reputation.

Another important topic was the 14th Amendment. I learned that it guarantees due process and equal protection under the law, and some people even refer to it as a "Second Bill of Rights" because of the protections it provides.

The film also explained how cases reach the Court. Every year, thousands of petitions are submitted, but only about one hundred cases are selected for review. After hearing oral arguments, the justices meet privately, vote, and write opinions that guide lower courts.


In the end, the documentary's main message was clear. The Supreme Court's power comes not only from the Constitution but also from the trust it has earned from the American people over generations. That trust remains one of the Court's most important responsibilities.


AI Disclosure: AI was used to format it into a blog post. It was a collaboration using Microsoft Copilot. I took notes while watching a video about the U.S. Supreme Court, titled “Supreme Court of the United States.” I promoted Microsoft Copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I asked it to help shape my notes into a blog post of 300 words in an academic professional style. Lastly, I added links and images so the reader can get a better understanding of the information.


No comments:

Post a Comment